these are super hero cookies:
- disguised as something you want
- secretly good for you
- not the hero gotham needs right now.
ok, fine. maybe they’re not super hero cookies.
but that would be pretty awesome right?
with zucchini season coming up, this is a great recipe to add to any collection.
i am a huge fan of using zucchini in week night dinners because it has a mellow flavor that compliments many other flavors.
and as it turns out, zucchini fits right in at the cookie party with chocolate, oats, and coconut. who knew?
when i made these cookies i used my food processor to shred the zucchini… and some carrots… it was fun fun fun. and no fingers were injured, thank you.
before i knew how to use the shredder on the food-pro, i used a cheese grater which worked just as well- but wasn’t nearly as fun.
today’s kitchen tip:
once you have a mound of shredded zucchini the next step (before putting it into a batter or dough) is to squeeze as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible without pulverizing it.
i learned that the hard way so you don’t have to.
the most environmentally friendly way is to use clean kitchen towels- but I usually use paper towels because life choices are real.
- lay the towel/s on a flat surface (kitchen counter/dining table)
- sprinkle the zucchini on the towel/s evenly
- roll the towel into a spiral/cinnamon roll shape with medium pressure.
- the towel is the dough and the zucchini is the cinnamon filling
- leave the towel rolled for a period of time
- intentionally vague. if doing this immediately before making the cookies, just leave the zucchini rolled up while putting the dough together.
- press down on your towel/veg roll again lightly
- you want to encourage the water to leave the veg but you want to keep the shreds intact
- slowly unroll the towel to reveal zucchini shreds that are ready to join the cookie party
- if not ready to make cookies yet, put the shreds into a bowl and cover with saran wrap. store in fridge until ready to use.
now this recipe and any other with shredded zucchini won’t seem so daunting right?
ooooooh- maybe the shredded zucchini is the super hero: Zucchi McShreds
with faithful but unlikely sidekick ChocChippy.
the villians can be Grumble Tumbles, Mr. Hangry and boss-man Vorldunger.
what’s that you say? stick to recipes and stop personifying the food as the hero gotham deserves?
happy baking. #kitchenadventures #foodrevolutionday
- 1 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 Tbl coconut oil, microwaved and cooled but still liquid.
- 2 heaping cups of shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups oats
- 1½ cups chocolate chips (I used a combination of mini and regular sized semi-sweet. i preferred the mini in this recipe)
- ¼ bag of sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment combine coconut oil and sugars until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add the shredded zucchini and mix on low until combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to stand mixer and mix until just combined.
- remove bowl from stand and stir in oats, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- use small cookie scoop to portion dough onto prepared sheets.
- bake 8-10 minutes until the edges are slightly darker.
- transfer cookies from baking sheet to wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- store at room temperature in an air tight container for up to a week.