full name: 5-ingredient-gluten-free-dairy-free-orange-chocolate-almond fudgey-cake.
One part of being in the kitchen I love is experimenting with new-to-me techniques. I have my standard “wheelhouse” basics that I come back to regularly but sometimes a recipe like this just sticks out and seductively says
“hey- you know you want to”
Basically, the recipe peer pressured me. I figure as long as I don’t kill anyone, break anything and don’t eat all of the resulting baked good, I’m doing ok.
- These are not usual baking techniques but are simple enough that I felt inclined to try it. you should too.
- Even if you cook regularly, this recipe may seem unreal. trust me, it works and is fabulous.
- I consider it healthy enough to be breakfast cake.
That’s right: cake for breakfast, people.
- 3 whole oranges
- 3 ½ C almond meal
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 9 eggs
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa
- Put the oranges in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour.
- Drain and leave oranges in pot to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 330˚F and line the bottom of 10 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Measure almond meal into large bowl and set aside. Separately measure out remaining ingredients.
- When the oranges are cool enough to handle, cut into wedges then chop in blender.
- Add sugar, cocoa and eggs to blender and blend until well combined.
- Pour orange mix into almond meal bowl and whisk well.
- Carefully pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan. Release from pan and cut as desired.
- Store at room temperature in air tight container.
- Lasts about a week but can get a little oily after a couple of days.