I remember these oat bars in college wrapped in saran wrap: gooey jam and crumbling, soft granola. It was a perfect breakfast with my zen green tea.
This 6-ingredient recipe is the closest I’ve found to that food memory.
note to self- start drinking green tea again. those were good times.
These are great on the go breakfast bars to make ahead for the fam- or take to a work potluck as a breakfast or dessert.
There are a few extra steps in this recipe but it comes together quickly. It’s just not your average “stir everything together, plop it in the pan and bake” bar cookie.
But it is so worth it:
These bars are super crumbly so if possible, chill in the fridge overnight (the bars, not yourself) before cutting into bite size pieces.
- 1½ cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 10 or 12 oz. jar raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper, with extra flaps up the sides. then spray parchment lightly with oil
- evenly spread ¾ cup coconut on a baking sheet and put in oven to lightly toast: stir every 2 minutes until golden about 8 minutes. cool completely.
- in food processor, blend flour, sugar and salt. then add butter and blend until dough forms.
- transfer to bowl and knead in toasted coconut and oats.
- reserve ¾ cup dough and press remaining dough evenly into bottom of the pan
- spread jam evenly over dough
- crumble remaining dough and sprinkle coconut evenly over jam
- bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- cool completely in pan (in fridge overnight recommended)
- use parchment paper flaps to pull out as one piece and move to cutting board
- cut into bars
- store in airtight container at room temperature for 1 week