a sweet surprise in the freezer perfect for your valentine-
that has a short ingredient list which quickly turns into two bite dreams.
the cool whip and cream cheese are such a simple combination that balances so well with the oreo.
and the ratio of “crust” to “cake” is perfect.
I ended up making these with my valentine because scooping the frozen mix into balls requires some strength. it turned into a lovely and sweet bonding experience for us.
sweet tip if you’re a sweets hoarder: this is a great share-some/stash-some recipe.
try this recipe with gingerbread cookies instead of oreos for a more traditional cheesecake flavor:
these bites are addictive either way!
I want to try a dairy-free batch with goat cream cheese… and experiment with other cookies. let me know what you try
and don’t forget about the giveaway that was announced last week
happy valentine’s baking! #getinthekitchen
- 1 8 oz tub of cool whip, thawed in fridge overnight
- 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 14 oz package oreos (or gingersnaps)
- using stand mixer, combine cool whip, cream cheese and sugar thoroughly- scraping bowl sides as necessary.
- partially line a large sided cookie sheet with parchment paper- it doesn't have to be completely covered
- when ingredients are mixed, use a rubber spatula to transfer to prepared cookie sheet. spread out as thinly as possible.
- freeze this cookie sheet of filling for at least a couple of hours if not overnight
- when ready to make balls, crush oreos or gingersnaps in food processor until very finely ground
- place crumbs in a shallow bowl (I use a pasta bowl)
- then pull frozen sheet of filling out of freezer.
- using a small cookie scoop, scoop filling into balls and transfer to cookie crumbs
- roll the balls in the crumbs to thoroughly coat
- store bites in an air tight container in the freezer.
- enjoy straight from the freezer!