i intentionally waited to share anything red & green until after thanksgiving
so, you’re welcome
today’s cookies are a lovely, crumbly sugar cookie bar themed for the holiday season with red and green m&ms
and the recipe is easily altered for any occasion by what color m&ms you use.
similar to my other chameleon cookie recipe: the cookie stick
yes, i bought multiple bags of the regular m&ms and sorted out the red and green.
the remaining candy was delightful to snack on.
but if you can find the bags of holiday treats, that eliminates a laborious [albeit delicious] step.
cookie bars are my new favorite crowd pleasing recipe-
- the same tried and true recipe for every occasion
- they’re a snap to make
- only one round in the oven rather than cookie sheet after cookie sheet
- the cookie is a perfect tea time treat
- the m&m is a great touch of festivity and sweetness
- the 9×13 pan makes a ton of cookies
- the size of the cut cookie can be changed based on the number to feed
one year ago: saltine toffee crack
happy holiday kitchen!
- ½ C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ C all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1½ C M&M's (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- In stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and combine.
- Add the flour, salt and baking soda in increments and mix until just combined.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and stir in 1 cup of M&Ms with a spatula
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan
- press the remaining half cup of M&Ms onto the top of the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing:
- lift whole thing out of pan with the foil, then peel the foil off the bottom of the bars. cut bars on cutting board.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.