muffin tins are destined for more than muffins and cupcakes.
this is the savory side of the tin.
meatloaf is one of those recipes that changes depending on which kitchen it’s coming out of.
today’s recipe is a basic meatloaf but uses turkey instead of beef and is baked miniature instead of one loaf.
but somehow meat-muffin instead of meatloaf just doesn’t sound right.
i’ve done this recipe with and without sauteing the veggies first. I prefer them sauteed but it worked both ways.
i also changed the recipe from oats+water to egg+parm.
i should also mention that adding chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to ketchup is one of the best ideas i’ve seen recently.
it’s so simple but completely changes the condiment for the better.
the recipe makes 12 meat-muffins and the leftovers are great for work day lunches.
they are pre-portioned meat-muffins that reheat very well- portion the ketchup with them to keep the meat moist when reheating.
[see? meat-muffin just isn’t working]
i recommend this mini meatloaf recipe even to those who claim to not like the texture of meatloaf (you know who you are).
serve these with fresh homemade biscuits and/or some roasted carrots and broccoli. i bet this recipe surprises you.
recipe successfully added to the work night meal list: here
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tbl jarred chipotle in adobo
- for chipotle ketchup:
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tbl jarred chipotle in adobo
- 1 tbl honey
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F. spray 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray
- saute onion over medium heat until transluscent, about 3 min then add bell pepper and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes
- in medium bowl, combine veggie, turkey, egg, parmesan and ½ tbl chipotle/adobo
- using a large ice cream scoop, portion turkey mixture into prepared muffin pan. (I had leftover mix almost enough for another muffin)
- bake for 20 minutes
- Combine ketchup ingredients to taste (can be done ahead so the flavors have time to get to know each other)
- serve muffins hot with ketchup together and enjoy.
- store muffin and ketchup together or separate in air tight container(s) in fridge for about 5 days.