I do love a good bar cookie.
then add a lemon cream cheese frosting on top?
how could I say no?
well, i didn’t say no. you’re so welcome.
i love lemon in baked goods.
and in cooking and drinks and beauty products too.
i also love having a lemon tree in my backyard that seems to produce year round.
i also also love bar cookies because i don’t always have time or energy to spend an entire afternoon batch-baking 11 dozen cookies.
lemon zest is in both the cookie and the frosting so what might look delicate in pictures actually packs quite the lemony creamy cookie punch-
to the point where the bars shown are 2 or 3 times the size of what i ended up cutting up. smaller 2 bite bars were perfect for enjoying and sharing this decadent treat.
this basic cookie recipe has the usual ingredient suspects- with the addition of the zest and some powdered sugar in the cookie.
tip: don’t wait for these to brown in the oven. i was so unsure at 12 minutes but trusted the recipe. and every bar was baked to perfection.
it’s one of those recipes that is simple enough to take to a potluck but tastes and appears way more impressive than it is- in the best way possible.
this is the frosting on those cherry walnut cookies too.
#kitchenadventures #happybaking #alsoalsoalso
it’s a 2 post kind of day. please also check out my fresh-from-the-oven journal post on Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution: here.
- 2¼ C AP Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ C granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¾ C unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ C powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- for lemon cream cheese frosting:
- ½ C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 5 C powdered sugar
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- in the bowl of your stand mixer, combine granulated sugar and lemon zest and rub together with your fingers- making a quick lemon/sugar.
- add butter to stand mixer and beat butter and lemon/sugar together until combined.
- add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- then add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla and combine. scrape the sides of the bowl.
- gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- using greased fingers, evenly spread the cookie dough into the prepared pan.
- bake for 12-14 minutes- they won't brown but will be done.
- remove from the oven and let the bars cool completely.
- for the frosting: combine the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- add the lemon zest and juice and combine.
- scrape sides of the bowl then add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. scrape bowl as needed.
- beat until smooth.
- frost the cooled bars with lemon cream cheese frosting.
- there should be frosting leftover
- chill in pan and cut into bars when ready to serve.
- store cut bars in air tight container in fridge for 1 week.