a family holiday favorite that gets the whole family into the kitchen!
crunchy chow mein noodles enrobed in chocolate, butterscotch and peanut butter:
this kid-friendly no-bake recipe only requires melting the chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter in the microwave then coating anything you’d like in the melted mixture.
peanut or almond clusters,
dipped ritz crackers
but especially love the original crunchy chow mein noodles.
they aren’t the prettiest girl at the ball (aka the sweets table)
but i’d bet they’re the most popular.
the butterscotch adds a “secret ingredient” flare to this unassuming dish.
let me know what kind of haystacks you make!
one year ago: roasted veggies
happy holiday kitchen!
- 1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag of butterscotch chips
- ¼ C smooth peanut butter
- crunchy chow mein noodles
- ritz crackers etc
- put chocolate, butterscotch and peanut butter into a large microwave safe bowl.
- microwave at half power for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute until smooth.
- cover desired crunchies with the melted chocolate mixture.
- for ease, i like to portion out the melted chocolate to smaller bowls- so if some of it needs to be reheated mid-way through, I know there aren't any crunchies in the bowl.
- portion haystacks with 2 spoons
- let dry/cool/harden on wax paper. if there's too much peanut butter they may not harden completely at room temperature so store in the fridge
- store in air tight container at room temperature or in fridge for a couple weeks (if they last that long)