I printed this recipe in September 2013. In the first 4 months, I made it at least 6 times and each time it was different. In a fabulous way.
The basics of the recipe are hashbrowns, eggs, cheese and liquid. beyond that it’s really up to you (and/or what you have laying around in the kitchen).
Ingredient variations I’ve used:
pre-cooked crumbled sausage (time saver when needed)
crispy bacon leftover in the fridge
cooked breakfast chicken sausage (Trader Joe’s, sold raw)
rosemary breakfast sausage (Costco, sold cooked)
Mexican blend shredded cheese (jack, cheddar, …something, …something)
all white cheeses (TJs provolone blend something something) with parm on top
blocks of cheese- like English white cheddar mmmm… I could live in the trader joe’s cheese display.
milk- cow (2%, half and half), almond
greek yogurt ranch
This dish feeds a crowd and/or is great leftover. I have not put it in the freezer before or after cooking- raw egg seems weird to me to freeze but leftovers could be portioned and frozen. It is also just so good that I haven’t had a reason to keep it longer than a wk.
For weekly meal planning, I like to make this Sunday or Monday so Puppy and I have lunches for the week. We collect ketchup packets and take them with these leftovers.
I usually assemble it and put it in the oven right away. But it’s also really nice to put together in advance and just toss in the oven when you’re getting hungry. I prepped this on a Sunday afternoon and we had it for dinner that Monday so it was in the fridge for about 24 hours. I took it out of the fridge while the oven preheated.
I also once made this in advance when I knew I wasn’t go to be home. Puppy put it in the oven all by his lonesome and had a fresh baked meal.
- 1 package frozen hashbrowns (trader joes/20oz)
- 1 package bacon/breakfast sausage up to 12 oz
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 C greek yogurt/almond milk
- 16 oz shredded cheese (4 C), divided
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- grease either 1 9x13 or 2 8x8 baking dishes.
- Crisp and crumble the bacon or brown the sausage, drain and cool slightly.
- Using a large bowl, combine hashbrowns, onion, sausage and 3 C cheese.
- Add milk and eggs and mix well.
- Pour into the desired baking dish(es).
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Either bake immediately or cover with lid/cling-wrap/foil and keep in fridge for up to 24 hours.
- When ready, bake at 350 uncovered for 55-60 min until top is browned and a butter knife comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 min (seriously!) serve warm with ketchup/salsa/hot sauce
- Great reheated leftover for breakfast, lunch and dinner