This is a great weeknight meal.
The taco seasoning pictured is here.
I start this recipe before leaving for work and it’s ready to eat when we get home- about 7:30am-5:30pm or 10 hours. It sounds insane to leave a crock pot for that long but it’s totally fine (usually recipes say 6-8 hours).
I’ve noticed that the frozen chicken gives off a lot of liquid. We get these costco prepackaged chicken breasts that are two breasts per pouch- so I use two pouches for this recipe. I take them straight from the freezer, run some cold water over the packages then cut open and shimmy the plastic off the frozen meat into the pot. And that’s usually pre coffee which is amazing. I don’t rinse the meat after the plastic is removed because we do need some liquid in the crock pot so things stay happy.
It’s great straight out of the pot in burritos, over rice or on a taco salad.
This recipe makes a lot of chicken. We had a taco/mojito dinner party with 7 people and still had leftovers. I’ve used the leftovers in: oven tacos (recipe to come) and enchiladas (recipe to come).
- 4 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbs dried spices (options: taco seasoning, cumin/chili pepper,...)
- Place frozen chicken directly into crock pot
- Top with tomatoes and then the spices
- Make sure at least some of the tomatoes are on the bottom of the crock pot
- Put lid on and cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Shred in the crock pot and mix with the juices
- Serve as burritos or tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, cheese etc.