viva la fiesta Santa Barbara!
butter. cinnamon sugar. puff pastry.
- easily double the recipe and use both puff pastry sheets that come in the box.
- try to not stretch the strips when moving them to the cookie sheet
- try putting the strips/sheet in the fridge before baking for puffier churros
- the strips expand up not out so they can cozy up on the cookie sheet.
My images didn’t quite capture the layers of flaky pastry, puffed in the oven then rolled in melted butter and covered in cinnamon sugar. The scent of sweetened clouds of dough distracted me from the photography.
Give in to the irresistible crunch of the churro.
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- ¾ granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Unroll puff pastry and gently cut in half lengthwise then each half into 1 inch strips (mine was 16 total)
- place strips on lightly greased parchment paper on cookie sheet
- bake for 8-10 minutes
- while pastry is baking, combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl
- and melt butter in dish long enough to fit strips
- pull pastry from oven and roll in butter then sugar mixture.
- cool on wire rack until dry (5 minutes)
- taste best same day but can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container for 2 days