chocolate and banana are part of a tight knit group with mint, coconut, and peanut butter. not everyone gets along but the overlapping friendships are undeniable.
today they star in a scrumptious cake-like quick bread
there’s cocoa powder and chocolate chips in this recipe because chocolate needs to assert itself in this form which is so classically banana.
one unusual thing about this recipe is that it treats sugar like a dry ingredient.
I don’t know why and I don’t know if the bread would come out the same or different if the usual order of events occurred.
the recipe as is makes a fluffy but moist banana bread that is very share-able (or not).
quick bread is a gooey and muffin-like batter baked in a loaf pan or pans. so it is “quick” compared to a yeast bread.
so i think of quick breads in the “baked good” category more than the “bread” category.
they are nice recipes to have on hand for a quick bake.
The Novella of Quick Breads:
chapter 3: chocolate banana bread
- 1¾ C AP flour
- ¼ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted then cooled
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C semi sweet chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray grease 9x5 loaf pan
- in medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda
- in stand mixer combine butter and banana
- then add eggs and combine thoroughly
- on low, slowly add dry ingredients to stand mixer until just combined
- remove bowl from stand and fold in chocolate chips
- pour batter into prepared pan
- bake for 55-65 minutes until toothpick in center comes out clean
- cool completely in pan
- then use a table knife around the loaf's edge and turn out of pan
- store at room temperature- either in saran wrap or an airtight container.