my valentine is allergic to strawberries so I found a recipe for festive pink cookies made with maraschino cherries.
aren’t I the sweetest?
the ultimate bake ahead- you freeze the uncooked dough in logs wrapped in saran wrap
when ready to bake, you slice the number you want and put the rest back in the freezer.
they last in the freezer unbaked for about 3 months.
if you anticipate leaving them in the freezer for more than a day, mark the logs with the recipe name, cooking temp/time and dough date.
and suddenly you’re that awesome person who can pull fresh baked cookies from the oven with only 15 minutes notice.
yeah, you are.
the cherry walnut combination is new to me and quite delightful.
there are contrasting textures between the soft cookie, the crunchy walnut and gooey cherry pieces.
you might notice bits of lemon zest in the frosting- its a lemon cream cheese recipe that is in a future post and it is amazing.
this is the first post with pictures using my new camera. [insert excited/terrified squealing noise here]
the next month or so of posts will be a mix between this higher quality camera and my iPhone.
I wonder if you’ll be able to tell the difference-
but I know I can.
suddenly I don’t have to worry about having enough battery life on my phone when I want to do a food photo shoot.
and the higher quality equipment makes the whole process that much easier.
aren’t I the cutest:
so add these cookies to your valentine plans
or whip them up whenever you want to start a stock pile of goodies in the freezer.
they’re a winner either way.
happy baking! #getinthekitchen [is that my new sign off? do I have a sign off now? what is this?]
- 1 cup butter, softened/room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup maraschino cherry juice
- 5 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups AP Flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped maraschino cherries
- in stand mixer, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy
- beat in egg, both juices (cherry and lemon) and vanilla
- in separate bowl, combine dry ingredients then gradually add to stand mixer and mix well
- stir in nuts and cherries
- shape dough into 4 logs with saran wrap- about 1½ inch in diameter
- chill dough for at least 4 hours. It will keep in the freezer for a few months
- when ready to bake, slice ¼ inch slices and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- bake at 375 degrees for 8-12 minutes.
- cool on wire rack and store at room temperature in air tight container for 1 week.