a fruit-sweetened carrot cake gets a glaze of cinnamon sugar for good measure.
when i discovered how easy it was to shred veggies with my food processor, i went a little crazy- see these zucchini cookies.
this is another recipe i tried in an effort to use up the shreds.
and i am so glad i did.
the cake is moist, lightly spiced and memorable. the glaze is from another recipe but i will take any excuse to use it.
the cake just happens to fruit-sweetened and no sugar added.
its from my beloved sweet and sugar free cookbook by Karen E. Barkie
it was published in 1982 and provides all sorts of great recipes that use fruit to sweeten desserts instead of sugar or any sort of artificial sweetener.
it’s not low calorie or anything but if you’re trying to reduce your sugar addiction- or use fruit in creative ways- this book is great
it’s also nice to occasionally have something that’s not overly sweet.
but the cinnamon sugar glaze brings it firmly back to the sweet side of the line.
everything in moderation right?
this would be great to take to a potluck or family dinner. it’s healthy with the carrots and without too much sugar. but with the facade of sugary glaze on top.
trick people into eating healthier by glazing over the truth with some cinnamon sugar. bwah haha ha
one year ago: topless strawberries
happy baking. #kitchenadventures
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2½ Cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Cups grated fresh carrot
- ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- drops of water or almond milk
- preheat oven to 350 F and spray oil 9x13 pan
- beat together eggs, butter and milk.
- add flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices
- beat well
- stir in grated carrots
- spread batter evenly in prepared pan
- bake 25-30 minutes until browned
- cool completely
- combine glaze ingredients- slowly add drops of water until a thick glaze forms
- glaze cake in desired pattern
- let glaze dry/soak into cake