Papa bear declared this dessert as decadent on his birthday.
I made three batches of these in a week. It feels weird. I don’t do that. hardly ever.
- take a box of brownie mix, add melted butter, espresso powder, eggs and water.
- divide into two 13×9 pans so its super thin.
- bake and cool.
- remove one from pan and foil and cut into 16 rectangles.
- spread ice cream into other pan and top with rectangles.
- freeze, remove from pan and foil, cut along rectangles, saran wrap each sandwich and refreeze. (not pictured)
sounds complicated right? well, I thought it did.
I almost didn’t try this recipe at all. It was the whole orange cake all over again- I just didn’t think it would work.
now I can’t stop. I’m almost serious.
…when you’re done drooling on your computer, here are some tips and the recipe card:
- when removing foil from brownie #1, it can be tricky at the corners. just smush it back together. the brownie will stick together on the ice cream.
- cut brownie #1 carefully with oiled sharp knife
- use a serrated knife to cut through the ice cream and carton
- run spatula/pie server under hot water before smushing the ice cream
- leave brownie #1 upside down when placing it on ice cream so it matches what’s underneath. basically the “top” of each brownie is touching the ice cream.
- use a butcher knife when cutting the whole frozen sandwiches
There’s a lot of detail in the recipe card. It looks daunting- but perhaps easier done than said.
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2½ to 3 tablespoons water
- 1 family sized brownie mix
- 1.5 quart ice cream or frozen yogurt, any flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- line two 13x9 pans with tin foil (with overhanging flaps) and spray bottom with oil.
- combine melted butter and espresso powder
- combine brownie mix, egg, water, and butter mix in a bowl until just combined
- divide evenly between both pans and smooth out evenly to edges
- bake for 12-14 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
- cool completely- overnight recommended
- lift brownie #1 out of pan with foil
- on parchment paper, flip over so its brownie side down
- carefully remove foil from brownie. smush any parts back together that tear
- cut brownie into desired sandwich size- 16 rectangles suggested. set aside
- remove lid and cut carton of ice cream in half
- remove ice cream from carton and place in brownie #2 pan.
- let ice cream soften just enough then smooth evenly across brownie #2
- take brownie #1 rectangles and press firmly into ice cream, evenly spaced
- freeze pan of ice cream sandwiches for several hours or overnight
- remove pan from freezer then sandwiches from pan with the foil flaps
- on parchment paper, flip sandwiches over and remove tin foil.
- flip over again and cut through sandwiches at pre-cut rectangle lines.
- wrap sandwiches in saran wrap, place in large ziploc bag and store in freezer